Located at the southernmost tip of Spain, Tarifa is a captivating coastal town known for its stunning beaches, vibrant atmosphere, and world-class wind and kitesurfing opportunities. If you’re planning a visit to this charming destination, you may be wondering how to get to Tarifa, Spain. In this article, we will guide you through the various transportation options available to reach Tarifa, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable journey to this enchanting Spanish gem.
How to get to Tarifa
a. Malaga Airport (AGP): The closest major international airport to Tarifa is Malaga Airport, located approximately 150 kilometres away. Several airlines operate flights to Malaga from major cities around the world. Once you arrive at Malaga Airport, you have several options to continue your journey to Tarifa:
- Car Rental: Renting a car at the airport is a convenient option for those looking for flexibility and the ability to explore the region at their own pace. The drive from Malaga Airport to Tarifa takes around 1 hour and 45 minutes. We recommend you checking options here: www.doyouspain.es
- Public Transportation: Regular bus services operate between Malaga Airport and Tarifa, with a journey time of approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes. Buses depart from the airport’s bus station, conveniently located outside the arrivals area. You can check Avanza bus, which normally covers this route.
b. Seville Airport (SVQ): Another viable option is Seville Airport, located approximately 200 kilometres from Tarifa. Seville Airport offers domestic and international flights, making it a convenient choice for travellers. From Seville Airport, you can reach Tarifa by:
- Car Rental: Renting a car at Seville Airport allows for a scenic drive to Tarifa, taking approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Public Transportation: Take a bus or taxi from Seville Airport to Seville’s main bus station, Estación de Autobuses de Plaza de Armas. From there, you can catch a direct bus to Tarifa, which takes around 3 hours.
TOP SUGGESTION: You should also check BlaBlacar, where people are sharing rides, normally often are available during the day from/to airports.
Although Tarifa doesn’t have its own train station, you can still travel by train and then complete the journey by bus or taxi. The nearest train stations are Algeciras and Jerez de la Frontera, both of which are well-connected to major cities in Spain. From Algeciras or Jerez de la Frontera, you can take a bus or taxi to Tarifa:
- Algeciras Train Station: Located approximately 25 kilometers from Tarifa, Algeciras is the closest train station. From there, you can take a bus or taxi to Tarifa, which is roughly a 30-minute drive away.
- Jerez de la Frontera Train Station: Situated about 130 kilometers from Tarifa, Jerez de la Frontera provides an alternative option for train travel. From the train station, you can take a bus or taxi to Tarifa, which takes approximately 2 hours.
Tarifa has excellent ferry connections, making it accessible from both Spain and Morocco. Ferries operate between Tarifa and Tangier in Morocco, offering a unique opportunity to experience the cultural blend between Europe and Africa. The ferry journey from Tangier to Tarifa takes approximately 35 minutes. You can also catch a ferry from Algeciras or Gibraltar to Tarifa, which takes around 30 minutes.
Spain has a well-developed bus network, and Tarifa is no exception. Several bus companies operate services to Tarifa from various cities in Spain. If you’re travelling from Malaga, Seville, Jerez de la Frontera, or other nearby cities, you can take a direct bus to Tarifa, offering convenient and affordable transportation options. Check Alsa bus, or Avanza bus.
If you’re already in Spain or neighbouring countries, driving to Tarifa can be a delightful option, allowing you to enjoy the scenic beauty of the region. Tarifa is well-connected to the Spanish road network, and the journey is relatively straightforward. The town is accessible via the A-7 and AP-7 highways, with clear signage guiding you along the way.
Tarifa’s allure lies not only in its natural beauty but also in its accessibility. Whether you prefer air travel, train journeys, ferry rides, or road trips, there are multiple transportation options available to reach this captivating Spanish destination. Plan your journey wisely, considering your preferences and the convenience of each mode of transport, to ensure a hassle-free and enjoyable visit to Tarifa. Get ready to immerse yourself in its laid-back atmosphere, indulge in thrilling water sports, and soak up the sun on its magnificent beaches. Tarifa awaits!